I’ve had a few comments and questions sent to me recently about my throttle body setup and it occurred to me that the most recent post and photos that I uploaded here are quite out of date.
There’s not a great deal to add, but I’ve now fitted an airbox (Pipercross 600 series) over the throttles, tidied things up a little, given the cam cover a lick of black crinkle paint and refined the fuel and ignition maps plenty more.
I was having some issues with rough running at very low TPS and RPM values, I think the very short intake trumpets I’m running due to lack of space was causing turbulent airflow at low revs. The airbox appears to have the effect of lengthening the intake tract and smoothing things out a little. The car definitely runs a little smoother with it fitted, although that great ITB sound is muffled a little unfortunately. Whether it robs the car of any power at the top end is up for debate. Perhaps a bhp or two, but I can live with that.
I’m also running some more aggressive, track-biased tyres now. As the car only gets used in the dry or for the occasional track day, I figured I may as well get something suited to those conditions. In the dry they’re great, plenty of grip and very controllable at the limit. I wasn’t so keen at Snetterton circuit earlier this month though in cold and soaking wet conditions. Part of the problem was that I forgot my tyre pressure gauge and was running far too much pressure. Either way, there was lots of this going on…
Here’s a few laps of the Snetterton 300 track from a couple of weeks ago in the MX5. As usual, the video makes it all seems a lot slower and more sedate than in real life.
Here’s a very quick and dirty attempt at taking some data logged (on an iPhone) at a track day I did a while back and using CartoDB’s excellent web mapping tools to create an interactive visualisation of the data. Hover over the points to view speed, lateral g (cornering) and lineal g (acceleration/braking). Click, drag and scroll as usual to pan and zoom around the map.
Note that the iPhone can only gather GPS information at 1Hz, which is why the data is pretty coarse. I’m at Snetterton in a few weeks so I’ll do a bit more data logging and analysis then.
Last night I finally got around to finishing off a little bit of retrimming in the Mazda. I’d got fed up of the bulky interior door handles encroaching on the already pretty cosy interior, so decided to ditch them. To cover up the holes left behind, and also to improve on the dated vinyl door covering, I have recovered them in some cheap faux suede that I found on ebay. A small strap, screwed to the back of the door release lever, serves as the new door handle.