My marathon training is almost finished now. This coming weekend will be my second 20 mile run and then from there I’ll take a gentle taper down over the following three weeks until the the big day. The plan this weekend is to have a bit of a dress rehearsal for London, so from around Thursday I shall be trying to mimic closely my plan for London in terms of preparation, nutrition and hydration.
In other news, last weekend was the annual MK Festival of Running where I managed to knock a few minutes off my half marathon PB. Hopefully that’s a good sign that training is going well.
After a couple of years of failed attempts, I’ve finally manage to secure a place in the 2014 London Marathon through my running club. I wasn’t sure how I felt about it at first, but it’s been a week now and I’m pretty excited and looking forward to both the race and the training. It’s probably a bit early to get into a full on marathon training program right now but I’m starting to increase the mileage slowly already with the aim of completing a comfortable half marathon or two this side of Christmas.
This weekend is the Winter Wolf Run, which should get me nicely into the swing of being cold, wet and miserable for the rest of the winter.
Last night I finally got around to finishing off a little bit of retrimming in the Mazda. I’d got fed up of the bulky interior door handles encroaching on the already pretty cosy interior, so decided to ditch them. To cover up the holes left behind, and also to improve on the dated vinyl door covering, I have recovered them in some cheap faux suede that I found on ebay. A small strap, screwed to the back of the door release lever, serves as the new door handle.
The cabin feels a bit more spacious now and has a nice minimalistic feel. I also added a layer of 3mm scrim foam underneath the fabric to give it a soft, slightly less cheap feel.
The blue matches nicely with the stitching on my gear lever and handbrake gaiters.
There’s more to come on the throttle bodies conversion too. I’ll update here as soon as I’ve taken a few pictures.
Just a quick update on the MX5. The GSXR 600 throttles have been assembled and attached and are now on their way to running pretty nicely.
The physical side of the install was pretty simple, mostly a case of bolting stuff up. The only real issue I faced was the routing and length of the throttle cable, which took a few attempts to get right. After a lot of trial and error and the use of some mountain bike parts to help the cable get round some tight bends, the cable now fits fine. The ratio of throttle plate movement for a given amount of cable pull is now a little higher that it was before, making the throttles very sensitive to small pedal movements. This can currently make the car a little difficult to drive smoothly in traffic and when parking. I have a plan to move the cable mounting point on the pedal to resolve this, but it’s not an urgent modification.
On the ECU side of things, the car is tuned and running well under most conditions. Startup and idle are smooth (the car sailed through its MOT last month) as is 90% of driving whilst the car is moving. Increasing the revs off idle is still a little rough, things go lean for a split second and stumble, which again makes driving the car in traffic a little laborious. Once moving, the fuelling is smooth and wide open throttle sounds great.
There are a few things that I rushed to get the car ready for the summer which I’d like to go back and revisit. For now I’ll just enjoy the sunshine though, when autumn starts to arrive I may take it all apart again and make a few small improvements. Amongst other things I think the head would benefit from a small skim. We’ll see.
Over the last couple of weeks I’ve been taking lots of the MX5’s engine compartment to bits in order to fit a set of individual throttle bodies from a Suzuki GSXR 600. Over the winter, while the car was in the garage, I’ve been collecting parts here and there for the conversion whenever I see them come up cheaply on ebay. Now the weather has improved and the evenings are getting lighter, I’ve started putting it all together.
To the right is a picture of most of what is going into the car. The manifold is an old MX5 inlet manifold that’s been cut down very short and had four small aluminium flanges cut out and welded on to mate up to the Suzuki throttle flanges. The throttles themselves have had the injector ports sealed up as I shall be using the original injector locations in the inlet manifold. On the underneath of each throttle is a vacuum port which shall be connected to a common vacuum block to provide a vacuum feed to the ECU, brake servo and fuel pressure regulator. The standard MX5 throttle cable should attach easily to the whole assembly and the Suzuki throttle position sensor should connect into the MX5 loom with only a small amount of rewiring. Other than that, I’m hoping it’ll all be a fairly simple process.
Here’s the snow map mentioned in my last post. The map shows geotagged, snow-related tweets collected over the weekend of 11th-14th January, normalised by the number of tweets per county taken in a separate random sample.
As usual, you can click, zoom and pan around the map in the usual way